Am I your type?

Approximately 36,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the United States, adding up to 13.6 million units each year. Donors are needed each and every day, and LNE Student Council works vigorously to contribute to this number.

Student Council has been putting on multiple blood drives each school year to raise units of blood for the Nebraska Community Blood Bank. Through 3 blood drives that have happened this school year, LNE students have been able to donate over 150 units of blood to the Blood Bank. This seems like a small number when looking at the national average. However, it is quite large considering each unit of blood has the ability to save up to 3 people.

The eligibility process of donating blood is fairly easy. One has to be 17 years of age and weigh at least 115 pounds to donate. Additionally, students are required to have a parent permission form signed before being able to sign up for an appointment. Some perks of LNE blood drives are that donors receive t shirts, chips/crackers, cookies and juice after they are finished donating.

The average adult has about 10 pints of blood in his body. Roughly 1 pint is given during donation. A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood, so all students who are eligible are encouraged to donate.

Furthermore, the Nebraska Community Blood Bank center is always needing donations. Most donated red blood cells must be used within 42 days of collection, so new donors are needed quite frequently. If ineligible to donate at an LNE blood drive, call the Blood Bank to make an appointment.

The next LNE blood drive will take place on May 2, 2017, from 9am-2pm. To donate, fill out a parent permission slip and then sign up for an appointment in the main office. Every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs blood, so sign up and save some lives!