Bill Nye Saves the World

President Barack Obama poses for a selfie with Bill Nye, left, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson in the Blue Room prior to the White House Student Film Festival, Feb. 28, 2014.  (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

President Barack Obama poses for a selfie with Bill Nye, left, and Neil DeGrasse Tyson in the Blue Room prior to the White House Student Film Festival, Feb. 28, 2014. (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza) This official White House photograph is being made available only for publication by news organizations and/or for personal use printing by the subject(s) of the photograph. The photograph may not be manipulated in any way and may not be used in commercial or political materials, advertisements, emails, products, promotions that in any way suggests approval or endorsement of the President, the First Family, or the White House.

The White House

The White House

In late April, Bill Nye, often referred to as the “Science Guy,” returned to the spotlight with a new show on Netflix entitled Bill Nye Saves the World which explores science and “its impact on politics, society, and pop culture” according to IMDb, an online database of entertainment information.

Currently 13 episodes are available for viewing with each one tackling controversial topics such as climate change, vaccinations and sexuality and gender. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Bill Nye explained that the aim is to get people to look at issues in society from a scientific point of view and that “a very reasonable and good thing to do is to look at the world from a scientific standpoint.”

To many, Nye’s return to educational entertainment is relevant and much needed given today’s political climate with scientists, hackers, librarians and archivists racing to save hundreds of web pages and data containing information on climate change for fear they might be deleted, altered or removed from the public domain by the Trump administration according to a report from Wired. Moreover, the show was released amidst the the nationwide “March for Science” and the “People’s Climate March” which was organized due to fear of policymakers “ignoring fact and research in areas including climate change” reports CNN.

There are also concerns of average Americans lacking basic scientific knowledge as well. A survey of 2,200 people in the United States conducted in 2012 by the National Science foundation found that a quarter of Americans surveyed could not correctly answer that the Earth revolves around the sun and instead believed it to be the other way around. However, NPR also reports that Americans “seemed to generally support science research and expressed the greatest interest in new medical discoveries and local school issues related to science.”

Some believe that in order to increase understanding of science, learning from unapologetic science advocates such as Nye would be an effective method. Nye believes that comedy can help make science more accessible. “Any TV show has to be entertaining first. Whatever else you do is good, but to make it entertaining you can’t beat being funny.”

Nye’s show currently features special correspondents such as Tim Gunn, Randy Couture, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Wil Wheaton, Karlie Kloss, and many more. “2010-2020 will be the hottest decade on record, and not just because I’m on TV again,” Nye said on his show.