The Importance of Coloring

Fatima Al-Sammak, Editor-in-Chief

When the topic of coloring is brought up, people usually think of little kids. They think of the number-based coloring assignments they were given in the 4th grade or the many coloring books they had received as gifts. Not many would consider coloring to be an adult activity, nor would many people think that it has greater benefits than just teaching kids the colors. But in fact, coloring can help improve a person’s mental, emotional, and intellectual health.

In the earlier years of history, a famous psychologist known as Carl Jung used to prescribe coloring to people, especially adults, because he believed it would help them access their inner knowledge and subconscious. And he was right, as today’s scientists use coloring as a means of meditation and to promote relaxation and calm. This is considered especially helpful for people with PTSD, anxiety, stress issues and other similar problems that cause an overly active brain. This is because coloring requires a great amount of focus which will turn down the amount of activity happening in the brain and make the person feel calmer. Coloring is also a good outlet for negative emotions such as anger, frustration and stress.

Coloring also has intellectual benefits in the sense that it helps utilize areas of the brain that other activities might not. It enhances a person’s ability to focus and concentrate, which also promotes organization and problem solving skills. Coloring detailed pictures is even more useful as this requires the usage of both the left and right hemispheres of the brain. This happens when a person is thinking of what colors to use, where to use them and how to make sure he/she is still coloring within the lines.

It is hard to imagine that an activity most little kids do for fun could have so many benefits, but psychological studies have proven otherwise. To the extent that recently, coloring books are being created for not just kids, but also adults to help the relieve stress. So if a person ever feels stressed, bored or just want something fun yet beneficial to do, then coloring is the way to go.