The Walls of Northeast

Northeasts%27+beige+approach+featuring+off-white+walls%2C+brown+tiles%2C+brown+doors+and+grey+floor.+
Northeasts' beige approach featuring off-white walls, brown tiles, brown doors and grey floor.

Wendy Forlemu

The famous saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover” was coined by author Edwin Rolfe. This theory stresses the idea of not making quick conclusions without proof and a broad analysis. But why should the cover of the book look different from what it contains? Why do people make things on the outside appear different from what is inside? Perhaps because they want the observers to make those assumptions so they are surprised when they discover what is inside. Or maybe they do it out of simple thought, without making any connection. Take Northeast High School for example.

The inside of the Northeast High school building is quite different from its outside. Contrary to the outside of the building, the inside of the building has more of a beige color theme. The walls of the classrooms, bathrooms and hallways follow this trend . Even the lockers, the ceiling, and the floors are of a similar style. Mr. Vaughn, the Northeast building superintendent, says beige was chosen because “it was the brightest color, and it looked pretty clean” compared to the other colors Northeast’ representatives had to choose from. He added that bricks were also added to the design because they were decorative and of low maintenance. It takes two years to paint the school walls and the school is repainted every seven years. That is when the principal can decide whether or not to change the color.

What do the students think about this? Two anonymous students were interviewed, a junior and a senior. They were asked what their impressions of the school were when they first got into the building. The junior admits being a little disappointed because she likes red and was hoping to see more of the color inside the school as well. The junior later adds “… but its not a big deal. At least there are bricks inside the building as well. Though just a portion of them are like the ones outside. Like the ones by the commons.” The Senior did not seem to have any problem with the colors. She claims that she actually likes that there is this contrast between the outside and inside of the building.

Whether or not the reasoning behind making different themes for the interior and exterior of the school was intentional is obscure. But what is sure is that people still had expectations and whether or not those expectations were met is also unknown. Judging a book by its cover is inevitable.