Ending the School Year on a Good Note

Wendy Forlemu

It’s been a long school year, and if you’re like most students, you probably can’t wait for it to be over. Fortunately, the end of the school year is really close. But as much as you are excited for the summer, your grades are less exciting. Although we are just a few weeks away from the end of the year, some of us have some catching up to do. I’m talking late assignments, missed tests, quizzes, notes, you know, all the things we keep putting off. Here are a few tips to help you push through these last weeks of school and finish off on a good note.

First off, DO NOT procrastinate. This might sound cliche but it is indeed a fact. A study from Pennsylvania State University shows that students who tend to put off their work until the last minute end with a worse grade than the students who get a head start on their assignments. Additionally, the students who procrastinate get depressed because they are not satisfied with their grade, especially knowing they could have done better. We’ve known this all along, but still, why do we procrastinate? That is a different story for another article. So yes, if you want good grades, get a head start. Whether it be studying for a test, writing an essay or working a big project, allocating more time to a task will make a dramatic difference to your grade.

Tip number two, your teachers. Teachers are a very useful resource when it comes to getting academic assistance. Schedule an appointment with your teacher, go in before or after school to get help. Talk to them about your academic situation and what you need help with. Do you have a hard time understanding a topic, did you miss a test, were absent or are you just not happy with your grades? Teachers probably have the solution to all of your questions. If you are a student athlete, it probably does not help that you often have to miss certain classes for sport meets. Again, talk to your teachers and come to an agreement. Mr. Cornwell, a Social Studies teacher at Northeast says, “there is a reason I put my notes online… they are to help student [catch up]”. Believe it or not, teachers want you to succeed. Northeast also offers Rocket House, which lets students come in after school to work on their assignments and get academic help. Rocket House has tutors for every subject and resources to help students. They are open every week day from 3pm to 6pm.

In short, being a student is difficult. The studying, testing, homework and essays are overwhelming, but it is all worth it when you get good grades. If you happen to be struggling academically, there are several resources in school to help. Try using the tips previously mentioned and finish the year off on a good note.