Everything Sucks! – A Review

Kaylie Hill

Do you recall walking to school with your freshly crimped hair, slap bracelets adorning your wrists, as you listened to “Wonderwall” by Oasis on your disc player? If not, then you probably did not grow up in the 90s. Luckily for you, you don’t have to be a 90s kid to enjoy Netflix’s latest series, Everything Sucks! The company is taking a note from their most popular series, Stranger Things, which is set in the 80s. There are a lot of similarities between the two shows at first glance: they are both about a group of dorky teenage boys who befriend a lone girl and go on adventures from there. However, the plot of Everything Sucks! diverges quite a bit from the supernatural mishaps of Stranger Things.

The show takes place in a dull town appropriately named Boring, Oregon. The premier season begins on the first day of high school for best friends Luke, Tyler and McQuaid. Together, the boys sign up for the school A/V club in an effort to make friends. There they meet Kate, the principal’s daughter, with whom the boys join forces with to make a movie for their school. As you could probably guess, things don’t quite go as planned, which leads to many mishaps, adventures and relationship building conversations.

The kids face some very realistic high school dilemmas involving PG material from time to time, so it is safe to say that Everything Sucks! is not appropriate for all ages, but many teenagers can relate to the themes in the show. Humorous dialogue balances out the heavier topics to make for an all-around enjoyable viewing experience. Furthermore, the actors bring the script to life on the screen by authentically portraying their inner trauma. Young up-and-coming stars Jahi Di’Allo Winston and Peyton Kennedy – who play Luke and Kate respectively –  portray their characters’ high points and low points with the same maturity of a seasoned actor. Kennedy’s character especially deals with many mental struggles on the path to finding out who she really is. Along the way,  Winston’s character develops from a stubborn teenage boy to a passionate friend who accepts differences. It may seem as though the young high schoolers have their emotions rationalized at times, but something tells them that they have much more growth to go.  Fortunately, the last episode of the season ends on a cliffhanger, so it looks like fans will be able to screen a second season and more in the near future.