The Importance of Young Adults’ Participation in Politics/Social Activism

Back to Article
Back to Article

Like social activism, this article contains more than one voice, more than one philosophy, more than one inspiration, but it has one primary message.

The importance of young adults being involved in politics is tremendous. They are essentially the voice of the future, and the decisions being made now will affect them all later. All of the policies being suggested, the bills being passed, will have a greater effect in the future than they may now. It is the ripple effect that has been occuring within our country for decades. Henceforth, these decisions will affect the future generations more than they may affect the generations now. Because of this, it is important to have their voices heard. The contributions of young adults all matter, whether they are big or small. Voting to support a certain candidate or issue and attending rallies are a couple ways in which people can have their voices heard. Or simply contributing to campaigns and letting your young voice be heard is an important aspect of our democratic process. The voice of the future deserves a platform that gives each and every person a microphone for them to project their ideas and innovations, their morals and values as we continue our metamorphosis into a inclusive society.

Being involved in political and social matters also gives young people a better sense of what is occurring in the world around them. So it is important to encourage them to be involved in these issues because it will teach them the importance of having their voice heard on issues that affect their families and could affect them in the near future. When people feel like their opinions matter, then they will be more likely to fight back against injustices that are taking place because they understand that every small action they take will have a much bigger impact. It is important to note that all students will experience the policies and changes made during their day. Whether it is because of the identities they claim or their journey to adulthood, all citizens will ultimately be subject to the decisions being made at the symbolic table. Without every person’s involvement, our nation would not stand as a true democratic process. Ironically, it can be argued that our young people understand at a more extensive level as they are the ones currently experiencing them and will continue to for longer than the older generations will. We do not having anything to look at in retrospect. Only introspect. Only the future.

Some misconceptions regarding this topic though are that younger generations do not understand politics and certain social matters as well as the older generations do or they do not know the government system as well. The truth of the matter is, throughout their school years, students are consistently being taught about civics, government and politics. So most students do have an idea of how their political system works. But because of this misconception many adults tend to disregard what young adults have to say on serious political matters. Adults seem to have a preconceived notion about students’ involvement. If we don’t speak up, we are deemed lazy and uncaring about the policies around us. If we do choose to speak out, we are ostracized as radical and uneducated. The fact of the matter is, we are not speaking out to counter-attack our older generation. Our voice is a projection in and of itself. So listen closely. We are here to recognize the matters we feel are important to us. Empower the youth. They are the promise of how exactly we are to turn out. So give our youth a seat at the table so we can encompass one another with different perspectives as we all strive towards a better tomorrow. Powered with the ability to fight back against injustice everywhere, young adults will be able to create a more positive and equal world.