Unsung Heroes of LNE 

Lilly Clark

Secretaries Beth Vaughn and Tina Sovereign in the Main Office.

Northeast is a big high school that has tons of students and staff members. But without certain people, it would be way worse and more chaotic.

The office is a big part of LNE and these secretaries work all day long to make sure that all teachers and students know exactly what is going on and what they need to do. The office may seem like a boring place if you have never wanted or needed to go. The office may also seem like a bad place if you have been in trouble and got sent there, and it may seem like all the secretaries do is just sit there and do nothing, but that is not true. 

There are a lot of people in the office that help with students and parents, but we are going to focus on a few of them right now.

One of the main office secretaries is Beth Vaughn. She is the Executive Secretary and has been working at LNE for 19 years. Vaughn says that she mainly  “works directly with the principal, which has a lot of responsibilities.” She handles of all the activities in the school. Vaughn works with archibus which means that when people want to take over any room in the school, they have to go through her. She makes sure that nobody is using the room and that the people requesting rooms don’t have any bad records or anything bad. She works with student assistants, and graduation staff. 

Another important secretary is Holly Daughtery. She is our special education secretary and has been at LNE for a year. She does many things that help the school. She makes the IEP (Individualized Education Program) meetings, makes all tons of calls, writes emails, and helps with administration. She makes several hundred calls a year for IEPs. Like students and teachers, Daughtery and other secretaries have specific deadlines for emails, meetings, calls, etc. “Usually at work, you would have to answer to one person, I have to answer to 3 other admins”.  

Another important secretary is Tina Sovereign. She is our receptionist and she has been here for 4 years. She makes the ID’s for all the students, she helps with all the teammates, does the bulletin for the school, makes phone calls, and takes mail and packages from front desk and put them where they need to be. Sovereign said that “the most rewarding thing about this job is to work with the children.” She loves to engage with the kids and likes making an impact on their lives. Sovereign has always had a love for children. Before starting work at LNE, she worked at sporting events and worked in LPS for 17 years.

As a result of having all three of these amazing secretaries, LNE is a more organized place. They make sure that we are safe and we know what we need to do to be successful in our lives.